Monday, October 15, 2007

Blog Action Day

The environment has become a major issue in the past couple of years, that's because people are starting to realize what impact they are making on the Earth. Now certainly you cannot convert everyone to think this way, but the least we can do is show and at least get people to think about it. This is what this year's Blog Action Day is all about.

So, growing up I've seen more and more people care less about the Earth, the streets of Ohio (where I was born) were always filled with trash and ally ways would be filthy as a landfill. This is disgusting and not only have we realized this but we continue to do this, throwing wrappers outside (if there is no sign of a garbage), or cigarettes out the window. This is what I see everyday when I take a bus down a street to my school (10th Line) Even though there is construction, it give no one the right to throw or dump on the side of the streets. This is a sign right there that recyclables are still not put in the blue & grey bins appropriately. To make this even easier, the GTA a new recycling plant was created and is assigned to sort the paper from plastic, this making it unbelievable easier; just toss the dam item in one of the big colorful bins. Yet majority of society still finds it tough to adapt to this simple concept, I know my parents did; repeatedly asking weather it goes in the garbage or not.

So where do these plastic bottles and paper end up? and what effect to they have? As you probably know they end up in landfills, in which they compress the items and squish them in the Earth's land. This causes fumes and unusual gases to form and spread to the atmosphere in which we breath in. On top of that another contributing factor is CO 2 emissions from transportation vehicles. This combination is lethal and is taking effect in our air quality and ozone layer.

As you can see its a chain reaction and the end result is warming of the Earth, and go knows what else. Just imagine if we could all pitch some way how much better it would be, its never too late to reverse what we have done, we can participate in planting trees, carpooling, recycling, and community clean-ups.

One thing that fasinates me the most is the amount of technology to produce different types of energy. If you live in the GTA then if you head downtown near the lake you can see a wind powered fan. It looks so magnificent to me, thinking of how much electricity it's producing, you could practically live off it if we all had our own. Also when I went to the states my family decided to go to Nevada and along the car route there I saw the most magnificent sight of fans. To what looked to me as 4 generations of fans, they were all put in high elevated places (which Nevada is known for) this wasn't just in a patch they were all stretched out across 100km land...like it would never end..I felt so happy to be in that car. Now a 100km stretch is a long span and just trying to picture it is overwhelming now try think how much electricity it could produce?The way Nevada has set this up we should at least learn something from it. Although I know housing is a problem these days; I am sure we can make some room for at least a couple of fans per community.

This is what I think will lead us to a better future giving back to what we have done to the Earth for so many decades.

As my geography teacher in grade 9 said:

~" The Earth is not something we own, it is like a library book that we need to return in the condition it was given"

No comments: